Thursday, April 12, 2012

Post from the Past

While working out tonight, I ran into one of the "regulars" at the gym. Chatting with him got me thinking of the first time he spoke with me at the gym. I posted about it in my previous blog but thought I would post it on here to share.

While I was at the gym tonight a man came up tome after my workout. He told me what an awesome job I am doing with my fitness and continued to tell me it was great to see how hard I was working.
We started chatting and I brought up the fact that I used to have an anxiety towards the gym. I had been made fun of at the gym years ago and it was a horrible experience. After I told him about my anxiety he shook his head and said… “If that ever happens, you tell me. Show me who the person is and I will take care of it.”
I thanked him for the compliments and the support and went on my way. Once I got to me car, I was overwhelmed with emotions. I think of the person I was when I first tried to go to the gym. How embarrassed and hurt I was to have people make fun of me for trying to change my life. That time in my life I wasn’t ready to make my life change because I let that stop me. I actually didn’t start going to the gym until the end of last summer. I wanted to lose 50 lbs. before I started going. That feeling hadn’t completely left me…then. Now I am confident when I walk into the gym. I say hi to the people I know and don’t shy away from doing a work out because people are in the gym.
Looking back at the person I was and the person I am today, the difference is shocking. I still have a ways to go, but with the endless support that I have from friends, family and strangers… I will make it.

After reading this post again, it makes me smile. I have made it so far and have a great support system. I still have a ways to go but as I said; I will make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment