Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Different opinions...

I was having a conversation with a friend the other day. She found an article that had Myths and Facts about weight loss. One of the "Myths" was that when you skip a meal your metabolism slows down.

Now under the "myth" it stated that if you skip one meal it will not slow your metabolism. When I continued reading, the article then stated that a study proved that it would take "weeks" of skipping meals or an extremely low calorie diets to slow down your metabolism.

After reading the article my thought was... duh. If you just do it once or twice it won't do anything. However, if go on an extremely low calorie diet it WILL slow you metabolism. I am not understand what the article was calling a "myth" when they clearly stated it was a fact. Maybe the line of "...skip a meal..." compared to "...going weeks..." was the difference between fact and myth?

The reason why she showed it to me was that I always say not to skip meals because it messes with your metabolism and makes it harder to lose weight. When I was in highschool and in my early years of college, I skipped meals all the time. I thought it was the thing to do to lose weight. I went years with out eating breakfast and months without eating lunch along with it. The only thing it did was make me super hungry and binge eat the next time I had a meal. It wasn't a healthy way to live. I swear that starting to eat breakfast was an important part of my life change.

Any thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment