Thursday, January 1, 2015

A New Year with NO Resolutions...

First of all, let me just say... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!


This is the time of year where everyone is talking about their "new year resolutions". Everything from goals to be: nicer, more adventure, learn a new skill and the BIG ONE... Lose weight.


So, I gotta ask... What was your New Years Resolution from 2014? Do you remember?


I know mine was to reach my weight loss goal. Since I obviously haven't been blasting it everywhere, you can safely assume I did not reach that goal. lol


It hit me the other day that having a weight loss goal as a resolution is kind of like saying... "I will start on Monday..." Why do I need to make a resolution at the beginning of the year to lose weight? Why not  continue on my journey? It is a lifetime thing, not just a year thing. To make a promise to myself about reaching that goal in 2015 would be setting myself up for a fail and a lie if I don't make it. I am not more motivated by making a resolution... I am more motivated with just trying to stay healthy and make good choices.


So I came to the decision... there will NOT be a resolution this year.




"Wanna start the new year right??! well here is a weight loss solution for you..."


For the last 3 years I have seen the gym fill up to the max of new people starting their resolution for the new year... and every year I see them dwindle one by one until by March, I would say, it is back to the "regulars" at the gym. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing new people at the gym, but it has sadly become my expectation that more than half won't be coming back by the spring. The weight loss resolution has become so commercial as well. There is always sales on gym memberships, ads for fitness sales and the fad diets (everyone knows how I feel about those!!) are everywhere! It seems that this happens mostly at the beginning of the year. Especially in the stores where they promote the fitness equipment and new weight loss pill at the front of the store. It is very frustrating to see year after year.


Don't fall into the trap of "I am going to lose weight this year.". Make the decision to make healthier choices and you won't have to make a resolution that you may not meet. It is a more positive way to start off a new year!


What are your thoughts on new year resolutions?



4 comments:

  1. Let's try this again... (My last post deleted itself lol)
    My new year's resolution was to complete more 5ks and a half marathon. I planned to break through my weight loss plateau (that NEVER happened). I signed up for about 5 5k's and 1 half marathon. Sadly, I only completed one of each (even tho I must say the half was a BIG deal). My pelvis didn't want me to run and hurt so bad, in fact, the day after my half, I was in the ER to get a pain shot in my butt for pelvic pain! That then lead to a prescription of vicodin and a cortizone (sp?) shot in my pelvis. Then I had a stress fracture and 2 procedures in the last 2 weeks to close up some veins in my legs (one in each leg). I then gained back all the weight that I lost because of feeling depressed about not being able to run and being in so much pain and because I don't know how to cook well for myself!
    With that said, I have a new year's resolution without having one per say. I won't make plans, I will take each day as it comes, enjoy the moments, and make memories.
    Hats off to you Holly! Keep on posting! Stay strong LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is unpredictable. (as you just explained :) ) I think your resolution for a non-resolution is perfect! We will get a run in this year!

      Delete
  2. I've always heard that it's actually counterproductive to start a weight loss program (or anything, really) on the first of the year, as it sets an arbitrary timeline for people. I feel it's best to that once you're ready to just start it. From what I remember, Holly, that's what you did when you wanted to be healthier. I know that that's what I did when I began losing weight, as January 1st wouldn't have done me any good, since I wasn't ready to do it, so I just decided one day that I was going to do it.

    Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle and all that you've accomplished, Holly! You've definitely been an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I have to say is ... Exactly! I started because I was ready. There are no dates involved with that. You got it 100% and I am so proud of everything you have been doing! Happy New Year to you and I can't wait to hear more of your success!

      Delete