Sunday, May 5, 2013

My First Half Marathon...

Photo: Post half marathon Holly! Such an inspiration!


I did it! I completed my first half marathon! I finished in 2 hours and 59 minutes.

This day couldn't have been more perfect. The weather was cold and rain free. The friends I saw as I kept hitting each mile marker kept me going. My parents even came and surprised me at mile 7! At the finish line was where I really got my experience in... I turned my ipod off to take it all in. My friends and family cheering me in to the finish line... cheering to keep me pushing.

It was one of the hardest things that I have done so far. I pushed through the pain, pushed through the doubts and pushed through the mental games. I was never so happy to see a mile marker than I was when I saw that number 12. After mile 9 is where it got harder for me. My hip hurt like crazy and I was feeling sick. I kept going and kept pushing though, that is the most important part. Thank goodness for all the volunteers that kept up the encouraging words and cheering all the runners to keep going. I did ask one if it would be alright if I called a cab from mile 11... he said it probably wasn't the best idea.

At the finish line is what I will remember for the rest of my life... I turned my ipod off to take it all in. My friends and family cheering me in to the finish line... cheering to keep me pushing and to keep running. It is the most amazing experience to be running to the finish line of a race that you worked so hard to complete.

My parents brought me roses to congratulate me and even brought flowers for my training partner Jamie and my uncle John. They were so proud of everyone that ran and said over and over how proud they were of me. I loved seeing them at the 7 mile... I was disappointed when I thought they weren't coming and so happy to see them there. They had been planning on coming since the first day that I said I was going to run a half marathon. My grandma was nervous to talk to me because she thought she would let the surprise slip. Gotta love grandma!

I have the best friends in the world. Period. They support me and keep me going like none other. The ones that were physically at the race were there with  no hesitation. They wanted to be there to support me and have always been there. A couple of them attended my first 5k race less than a year ago again no question about it. They are some of my favorite people to see at the end of a big race!

Another friend gave me one of the best gifts... he gave me the most inspirational quotes I could have ever found. He made sure that I knew how awesome this day was going to be and how much I inspire others. He was right there at the finish line as well, again no hesitation.

The messages alone from the friends and family that couldn't be there was overwhelming. The encouragement, the inspiring words and the pure support that I got from them is priceless. The amazing card from my sister, the calls from friends, the facebook messages and even my grandparents and little brother called to wish me luck. I also received the sweetest card from someone I have actually never met in person. Kristen is on her own journey of a healthier lifestyle and she took a moment to wish me luck in a card. Our stories are so similar and I am very proud of how far she has come.

The friends that ran the half... are awesome! They are the ones that got me into running and the one that was sweating right along w/ me when we trained. It was a day for all of us to remember and I could not have asked for better people to run with.



My uncle John has supported me from day one and again had no hesitation to run w/ me. John and my aunt had to drive 2 hours to make it up here for the race. It is amazing to think that they were here right along with me and shared this experience. Couldn't think of a better way to hang out w/ my family!

I did it. It was fantastic and now I sit here and think... What's next? :)


** To some that don't know my past and how far I have come... they make think that I am making too much out of a race. The ones that really know where I started and how far I have come, they understand why this was such a huge moment in my life.

5 comments:

  1. I bet the feeling at the finish line with all those people cheering you on was priceless. I think I would have been crying! Also, I don't think there would any way to overestimate the importance of this race. It's like a culmination of all you have been working for. I'm so very, very proud of you, and I know you will have success with whatever you decide to make your next fitness goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an AMAZING GIRL, doing AMAZING THINGS! We all couldn't be more proud of you! Everything you've accomplished is because of you and the great spirit you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, what is the quote your friend gave you? I have a whole book of quotes I like and might want to add that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING!! Congratulations and you look awesome!! I want to run my first 5k in September and reading your running posts motivates me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you! Sorry I couldn't be there to support you, but I am so proud!

    ReplyDelete